4.23.2008

Green, but still trendy





Did you know that approximately 380 billion plastic bags are used in the United States every year and about 100 billion of those are plastic shopping bags. Only 1 to 2% of bags end up getting recycled. That means that 1 million plastic bags are used and discarded worldwide every minute of the day!

Since it was Earth Day yesterday, I felt I needed to add another "earth friendly" thing to my list. I consider myself a relatively green person, but I can always do more. Every little bit helps!

I have been meaning to get some reusable grocery bags for a while now. But, every time I am at the store, all they have are the ones with the specific store's name on them. Sorry, but I don't want to tote around a King Soopers bag at the farmers market, or wherever. I am too shallow for that-I fully admit it. After searching for a few hours, I came across these. They have a few different styles, but I decided on the retro kitchen set.

I am very excited to use them. Hopefully, they aren't delivered in a box the size of a house, stuffed with Styrofoam peanuts...

Update: I got them and I LOVE them! To top it off, they were delivered in a very small recycled envelope-brilliant.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Totally agree with you on the cute factor -- these I will take anywhere! :) Let me know when you get them if you're satisfied.

Lisa said...

Cute bags, you could also get a market basket for the farmers market shopping. I got one for Christmas. It looks like the plastic tote that you get at the grocery store when you are only getting a few things. Mine is canvas and my friend had it monogrammed for me. I use it all the time! I think she said she got it at Marshalls.

Patti said...

Ok, I can top this. I use reusable bags too. Mine are made out of my recycled t-shrits. Don't you hate a show off?