5.28.2008

Zzzzzzzz

I like my sleep. No, I love my sleep. It makes me very cranky when I miss out on sleep. I am not a nap person, I don’t need 10 hours a night, but when it’s time for bed, I can think of nothing else I would rather be doing. Plus, since we got our new bed, I am obsessed with sleeping more than ever.

I am sure that those of you with kids want to tell me to stick it, but I don’t have kids. These are the days to stockpile my sleeping hours. I know they will be few and far between if we ever decide to start a family. The stupid dogs are bad enough. The other night, Hazel decided she wanted to destroy the birds outside. We were sleeping with our window open and she was just running around the room going completely insane, listening to the hundreds of birds chirping. I was up at 3am that morning. I did not go back to bed. This was the beginning of "Who Needs Sleep 2008".

These past two weeks, for some reason, I cannot get to bed before midnight. I get up for work at 6am. I have learned that 6 hours is no good. I want 8. I have been dragging myself to work, barely awake, barely able to type, barely able to speak. I usually become coherent around noon. Thank God I do not operate heavy machinery. I would be a goner for sure.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I too need my 8 hours. Not much of a napper either, I feel like I should be doing something or that I am missing something while napping. Children do change your sleep patterns but it doesn't have to be drastic. My advice (not that you were asking for it!) is if you decide to start a family is don't rock your baby to sleep! You can rock them any other time but not for sleeping purposes, they will depend on that and not know how to soothe themself. Also don't put them in your bed unless you like to be kicked all night long. This too will make them dependant on sleeping with you and not like their own bed. Just lay them in their crib and they may fuss a little but ultimately they will be fine. Ok I will get off of my soap box for now!

Lauren said...

Exactly! I might miss out on something really fun or exciting if I take a nap. And, I am always just dragging the rest of the day if a nap happens.
Thanks for the advise-it is always welcome! Dont rock baby to sleep and don't let baby sleep in bed. Would not ever do the second anyways! They wouldn't ever want to leave-bad idea! I know a kid that's 11 YEARS old and STILL sleeps with his mom and dad. Pathetic!

Mimi said...

Thanks for the congrats - we're just recently "spreading the word"
I am totally on the 8 hour schedule and then I still struggle through a work day working from home. At this point, I honestly, do not think I could maintain and 8-5 job outside of my house....

Lauren said...

Ugh-quit rubbing it in that you get to work from home! ;)

Mimi said...

LOL - sorry. that is a bit insensitive of me...

Patti said...

Great advice Lisa. But does that include Chihuahuas? Ellie sleeps with us, all 4 lbs. of her. You would think in a king size bed there would be plenty of room, but no she has to sleep right next to or on me. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking I am having a hot flash. No its just Ellie's hot little body. If you try to move her she growls. What a Bitch! She thinks she runs the household. Well, actually she does.

Lauren said...

Don't I know it! It is amazing how much we let the dogs take over in the bed! I have gotten out of bed in the morning with a really sore back, because I didn't want to move all night. Didn't want to disturb the dogs...I'm an idiot.

Lisa said...

You both are on your own with the dogs in the bed!!