5.08.2008

I did NOT sign up for THIS

Yesterday, I volunteered to work at the concession stand at Sky Sox Stadium (Triple A baseball) for a high school here in town. When I signed up for it, it said just DHS baseball: Concession. I assumed the high school was having some sort of tournament at the “big kid” stadium and it would be fun to watch them. My nephew plays Varsity for DHS, so I figured it would be a good time to catch a game. Cinde and I were supposed to call 1 hour before to see if the specific stand we were supposed to work would be opened. There were black skies and it was raining outside, so we thought chances were slim that we would even have to go. I called-they were open. We showed up at 9am and found our way to the concession area. We set everything up, keeping everything super simple and only prepping a few pretzels, hot dogs, etc. If they were going to cancel the game, they would do so at game time. Then it happened.

1. We found out it was a Sky Sox game, not a high school tournament
2. It was KID DAY
3. The game would not be canceled
4. Since Tuesday night, 5000 tickets had been sold

One of us happened to glance outside to the parking lot and, I swear to God, there was not an empty space. There were a million school buses parked and 1 trillion kids making their way to the stadium! Cook more hot dogs! Put on all the pretzels! Get everything stocked!
We worked 9-2, but I swear it felt like 5 minutes. We were busy the entire time. And not just busy, SWARMED by wads of kids all spending their parents money to get delicious treats. Cinde and I were pretty much awesome. I do have to say that the people at Sky Sox were less than prepared to handle this insane amount of children though. At one point the Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and Root Beer were all running clear. All we had was pink lemonade-not a best seller. We ran out of cooked hot dogs a few times, cotton candy, churros, and a few other things. Those poor kids waited in line at least 10 minutes for me to tell them we were all sold out. All I have to say is God bless the parents and teachers that attended the game with all those kids. It was INSANE.

Seriously though, it just made me want to wait even more on having some children of my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We did kick butt, didn't we??