6.10.2009

I've been pricked

I have been pricked, multiple times.

I met 4 other people down at the station yesterday to do the test. Prior to us even going into the conference room, they disinfected it, wiping every down. They had to remove all the male DNA in the room because it could alter the test to give faulty results. Apparently, this blood test looks for a Y chromosome in the sample. The baby’s blood runs through the mom’s blood and so if a Y is present, it’s a boy. If not, it’s a girl.

We all sat around a table, opened our packages, and started to read the directions. This test proved to be a lot more difficult then I thought! We had to FILL 4 1 inch diameter circles on a piece of paper with our blood. COMPLETELY FILL. My fingers were white and numb when I was done. I had nothing left to give. You were supposed to drip the blood onto the paper and not touch it. I had to prick my finger 4 different times to even come close to filling the circles completely.

Now we wait. I guess you can get the results in as quick as 3 days, but we have to wait for them to send it and then wait to get them back. I assume it will be a few weeks before I hear anything.

3 comments:

Patti said...

You could always do the pendulum test or I guess some people use a pencil. Whichever way the object rotates denotes whether it's a boy or a girl. I don't know which way is which though.

Lauren said...

Been there, done that! Used a ring on a string. It said a boy

Karl McKee said...

I haven't checked your blog in a while but was excited to see all of the baby news. When I came to your "I've been pricked" blog I just had to comment becuase I can't let you and Kenny go un-warned. You know those 4 circles? Well I have to warn you probably the most traumatic thing for me was when they did that to Delanie. Don't worry, at least you now know what you expect. When they whipped that thing out and pricked her foot I was about ready to knock out the nurse. haha, anyway. Can't wait to read more. Karl