8.18.2008

My muddy weekend

In the Pit
Our seats at Red Rocks

After getting to bed at midnight on Saturday night and waking up at 1am and 2am, the alarm went off at 3:15am. We had to get up and get ready for the Muddy Buddy! We had to leave the house by 4am to get to Boulder by 5:30 to pick up our race packets. The race didn’t start until 7:15 and our wave didn’t begin until 7:50am. Nothing like hurrying to wait. I started the race running, Kenny on the bike. The entire 1st mile was muddy. I know it’s called the Muddy Buddy, but that is only because of the mud pit at the end. It has been raining a lot around here, so the entire dirt course was a muddy disaster. Anyways, I got to the first obstacle, completed it and went to find my bike. I almost lost my shoes numerous times because the mud was set on suctioning them off my feet. I found the bike and it was sitting in mud about a foot deep. Thanks Kenny. I picked it up and could not even push it because the mud was so thick on the tires and all gooped up around the important parts. The guys handing out water were trying to help me get the mud off so it was rideable. I would get 10 feet and it would be impossible to ride again. I decided to push it until the mud flew off enough for me to ride it. All of a sudden, the chain fell off. A very nice guy helped me get it back on. I probably moved about 25 feet and then my back tire wouldn’t move, so I was pushing dead weight. Then, an entire part of the bike broke. I don’t even know what it’s called, but it completely broke off. I tried to push it but the broken part kept getting caught in my wheel. I tried to rig it a million times, but it kept getting caught. Kenny, being the smart guy he is, knew something was wrong. I may be kindof slow, but this was ridiculous. He came back to meet me on the trail and I could not have been more happy to see him. What a relief! We did the rest of the race together with him pushing the stupid broken bicycle and me running (walking). Did I mention this happened 1 mile into the 7 mile race? Yeah, fun. We finished though. Very late. But, we finished!
After the race, I had to get home, shower, get ready, and go back up to Red Rocks to see Jack Johnson. I didn’t get home until 12:30 this morning. Incase you forgot, I woke up at 3am! Well worth it though. It was a great day, broken bike and all. Definitely one for the books.

4 comments:

Patti said...

sounds like a crazy day but lots of fun. I would so be up for something like that. Maybe I should come out next year.

Mimi said...

Perfect Colorado day!

Lauren said...

Auntie P! That would be awesome! You would LOOOOOOVE it!

Steve said...

I was also trying to let you know that I do read your blog on a daily basis. Sometimes my typing gets faster than my brain and then you know what happens. Brain fart