8.27.2008

A biodegradable birthday

Biodegradable Plates, Bowls & Cups

I am having a few people over for a birthday BBQ next Saturday. I was concerned about the utensils and everything that I needed to buy. You know, since I am all earthy now. My problems were solved when I found this site!

These plates are made from 100% sugar cane fiber (bagasse), a byproduct of the sugar refining process. (Supplies of this material are virtually unlimited worldwide. The use of bagasse products eliminates the dependence of traditional wood fiber-based materials in disposable tableware. Since bagasse is traditionally burned for disposal, the diversion of the fiber into the making of tableware prevents harmful air pollution.)

The potato-starch cutlery is sturdy, attractive, reusable, and suitable for hot foods up to 220° F. Because it's made from renewable resources (potato starch and vegetable oil), and because it's compostable, this makes a great replacement for standard plastic cutlery.These pieces will biodegrade within 180 days in a commercial composting facility.

To top it off, everything was reasonably priced-hooray! More money for birthday presents!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

So, can you eat them when you are done?

Lindsley said...

Cool stuff! Wish I could eat off of your disappearing plates...have a fun b-day!

Patti said...

I left a comment and it didn't show up! I'm not sure what happened but I've been drinking so maybe I'm hallucinating. Anyway, I said I wish I would have known about these before I bought the plates for the Labor Day Party. Your right, they are not that much more expensive. I hope your Birthday presents aren't biodegradable.

Lauren said...

B-squared-Nope, can't eat them. That would be awesome though ;)

Auntie P-Good point. Biodegradable presents are not welcome at my house. Take note people.