1.09.2009

Pickled herring meet Jack Daniels

I don’t know why we do it and I don’t know who started it, but ever since I have known Kenny, on New Year’s everyone eats rye bread with pickled herring and cream cheese. It is disgusting and I do not participate. I have been in charge of buying the herring the past few years, but that is my only involvement with it. The fish is grey and in a sour cream sauce. How appealing, no?

For some reason, this year, a new nasty tradition was started. Pass around the bottle of Jack! Why on earth did something think this to be a good idea? First, we are going to eat some nasty fish and then we will wash it down with some booze. But not delicious booze, the gross stuff.




3 comments:

Steve said...

History lesson 101. When Roger and I were younger we used to sit around with an electrical cord with a plug on on end and just bare wires on the other. We would have a contest to see who could hold on to the bare wires the longest. We found out purely by accident that creamed herring on rye bread soothes the pain of electrical burns and it covers up the smell of burning flesh. See its a simple explination

Lauren said...

See? All I had to do was ask!

Patti said...

Just another one of the traditions that I wasn't part of because I wasn't born yet. Not fair!