9.11.2008

Food critic debut, sort of

Last night, my mom took Kenny and I out for my birthday dinner. I chose the Plate. If you're Colorado folk, I highly recommend it. It was fabulous. We ordered calamari for an appetizer. To reveal how classy I am, I will let you know that I have only ever consumed it breaded or fried. Never have I had it "au natural" in sauce. At first I was a bit afraid of the little rubber bands in marinara sauce, but decided to jump in head first-they were fantastic! For my main course, I ordered the kobe hanger with scallops. The server asked how I wanted my kobe cooked and I said medium-well. After she left I asked Kenny if I should have asked for it medium. He then reminded me of the time I ordered a buffalo steak medium and when I cut into it, it bled on my plate and all over my mashed potatoes. I was trying really hard to not complain about my food, and I know a lot of meat is better cooked medium or even medium rare. Instead, I just sat there and didn't say a word. Kenny looked over at me and said, "Are you crying?" I was totally tearing up as I was chewing on the way-too-undercooked (in my opinion) steak. It was grossing me out so bad that tears were filling my eyes. I cannot eat a meal involving meat with Kenny bringing that up. Anyways, I kept the Kobe medium-well, which really was overcooked a bit. Never satisfied. The scallops were perfect. For dessert, I ordered the brown sugar butter pecan cheesecake and OH MY GOD. I love all of those things separate, so together? Amazing! My mojito was the only mediocre thing I got there. It tasted like seltzer lime and nothing else. I have only been craving one for like 3 months. Way to wreck that one! Ever since they put that Bacardi commercial on tv. You know, the one with the dancing and the ch, ch, ch sound? Ring any bells? No? Fine.

My mom ordered the filet and Kenny had mussels, Italian sausage, and sea bass. Mmmmmm's were heard all around.

3 comments:

Scary Mommy said...

I am the same way about my meat. I always order it med-well and feel so judged by the waiters. But, blood grosses me out, too. The rest of it sounds so yummy--- that dessert, YUM!!!

Happy birthday! :)

Patti said...

For the price they charge for Kobe beef, you should be able to have it any way you want.

Bonnie said...

Come visit me and I'll take you for mojitos that will change your life!!!