3.18.2009

Breakfast strata

We had a St. Patrick's Day potluck at work and I was told to bring a breakfast food in. Yes, told. Not asked.

My friend, Linds, sent me a recipe for a strata. I knew what they were, but I have never made one before. I thought it was delicious! It's so easy and you can do a million different things with it. Just make the basic strata and then add whatever you want to it. For work, I made bacon and cheddar. Just make sure that if you have any sort of meat, you cook it beforehand.

Basic Strata recipe:

Cut bread into 1/2 inch chunks. You may also slice it-personal preference. You can also choose whatever kind of bread you would like. I used french bread.

Spray Pam in a 9x13 pan. Layer bread on the bottom. Next, layer the filling of your choice. Layer bread again.

Whisk 6 eggs and 4 cups of heavy cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over bread.

Bake at 350 for 45-1 hour, until golden.

2 comments:

Patti said...

I've made a seafood strata with salmon and havarti cheese. Delicious!

Anonymous said...

Glad it came out well. I've made several and have actually found that wheat bread does not work too well. The wheat flavor over powers anything else that's in the strata.