10.06.2009

We shall call her L

It’s not like I am posting L’s name everywhere for all to see. I get that. I don’t want it all over the internet, on Facebook, my blog, or Twitter. But, if asked, I will more than likely tell you. More than likely. Unless, I don’t really know you. Then I just say, we haven’t narrowed it down yet. I think this is completely different than the people who absolutely refuse to tell anyone the name of their unborn child. I think that if someone is going to do this, the name better be damn impressive.

I know someone that has done this recently. It’s more annoying than anything, because you know the name isn’t going to be great anyways. And, in this particular case? It totally wasn’t. It wasn’t unique, original, or different in any way. This person was super tight lipped about it too. I am not sure she even told her closest friends. And for what? A huge letdown when it was finally revealed?

At the same time, I also wish that people would keep their opinions about chosen names to themselves. Really? You mean to tell me that you don’t like the name we picked when you have named your son/daughter one of the top 10 names of 2007? What a surprise!

It’s so much better telling someone the name we have picked out when I can see their faces. People are horrible at hiding expressions. I have gotten a lot better with it, but at first I didn’t want to deal with the reactions. Why should I have to explain my choice? It’s not like we chose to name her Toboggan Snowflake McKee, or any other name including an inanimate object. So just remember, it could be worse.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Toboggan would be cute.

Mimi said...

I hear ya!! We stayed quiet about "Soren" because we didn't want people's opinions. Sad, isn't it? Because I LOVE his name. I hope it isn't me that irritated you ;)

I can't WAIT to know Baby L's name. I am sure it perfectly chosen by the 2 people who matter the most to her and that's ALL that matters!

Anonymous said...

I think that it seems a bit judgemental that you are bashing others for their "normal" or "top 10" name choices but don't want anyone to judge you for your name choice. To each his own, and sometimes it's best to refrain from sharing every thought even if others think it's fitting to share their opinion with you.

Lauren said...

Thanks for your opinion "anonymous". If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Thanks! That's the nice part about having my own blog-I get to say what I want.

Aaaaaaaaand, p.s. I didn't bash top 10 names. They are popular for a reason! A lot of people like them! Maybe you should reread the paragraph ;)

Nicole said...

OHHH...Juicy!!! Just saw your post to Linds on FB and had to see whats up!

Mimi said...

Perfectly said Lauren!! There's a reason people post comments like that anonymously.

Patti said...

Double standard??? It's ok for other to share their opinion but Lauren can't share her's?

It's her blog....so shut your face!