8.17.2009

What the...

While working today, I randomly thought of when we had a garage sale at Kenny's dad's house. We were cleaning the house and came across some boxes from Aunt Dorothy’s house. I guess when she passed away all the kids got the chance to pick out some things that they wanted to keep. They all had their own box. Most of them were filled with random knick-knacks and little keepsakes. Then, we got to Kris’. All I know is he was pretty little when she passed, but I’m not sure of his exact age. Anyways, we unwrapped the first thing. It was a porcelain unicorn figurine. The second? A unicorn. Moving on. Another unicorn. There was nothing else in that box except a million little mythical creatures. When unpacked, they filled up an entire table. We called him to see if he wanted us to send them out. He declined. We thought maybe we could give away a free unicorn with every purchase. Turns out, people didn’t want them. I think a little girl wound up buying most of them (because we made her) for like, a dollar.

7 comments:

Lindsley said...

So, are you saying you wish you had held on to the unicorn's for 'L'???

Patti said...

I don't remember a unicorn collection????? She must not have had it when she still lived here. I actually have Aunt Dorothy's Dining room table and hutch. Since she never had kids, it's in pristine condition.

I can't believe Kris not wanting them.

Steve said...

Aunt Dorothy had millions that she wanted to hide and she spent endless hours crafting all of the money into unicorns. If anyone finds any of them all you have to do is start at the tip of the horn and unroll it. Theres a fortune to be found. This is from an entry that I had in our family tree man from many years ago. Her parlor clock and glass doored book shelves also contained little treasures.

Patti said...

Now I remember! That's right. She was afraid her money would get in the wrong hands. (un-holy people). So she stashed it everywhere.

Steve said...

It really started with her taking an oregami class. She enjoyed it so much that she just thought of other creative way to improve on he new found hobby. I'll have to get the item that is in the family tree and print it off for everyone. She initially told me about it the fall of 1981. I drove her to El Paso to spend the winter with her church group. She had fallen at he home on Sylvan Lake and was unable to drive. It was quite a trip she had a maroon Olds or Pontiac that was a Indy 500 edition. I got her there in about three days of driving and then she paid for my air fare home. I routed it through Dallas so I could spend some time with our cousin Tom Moore. I'm sure that all of the Colorado McKee's remember Tom. Especially from when Roger, Tom and I did the Empty Hammer pants dance

Shane said...

I don't know anything about oregami or Aunt Dorothy. What I do know is that I have been hunting the elusive unicorn for most of my adult life. While very rare, unicorn meat brings a premium on the black market. I have an underground following of Japanese that will pay out wazoo for the meat.

Nicole said...

Double that wow.